The Honors and Awards Selection Panel’s duties include recommending individuals for the Honors of the Association Award, Distinguished Service Award, and Emerging Leader Award.
The Honors and Awards Selection Panel is also responsible for reviewing and selecting winners of Professional Scholarships.
Members of the Selection Panel must have been ACPA members for at least five years.
The nominating process for the Honors of the Association, Distinguished Service Award, and Emerging Leader Award is a function of the Honors and Awards Selection Panel with assistance by the National Office. The Association membership is invited to submit nominations for either award during a general nomination period. The Selection Panel reports to the Board with recommendations. The Selection Panel cannot nominate the same person for multiple awards in the same year. The Selection Panel should review any nominations from the previous year who were not put forward for an award along with new nominations received. No member of the Selection Panel may be put forward for an award. If a member of the Selection Panel submits a nomination, they should recuse themselves from voting on candidates for that award.
The Board either approves or rejects nominations brought to it through the Honors and Awards Selection Panel. Following the review and recommendation process, candidates are granted the awards by two-thirds majority approval of the Board of Directors. If a nominee is rejected, the Selection Panel will be reconvened to consider other nominations that may have been received and put forth another nominee if desired.
2021 Key Objectives:
- Oversee the Call for Nominations and recommend to the Board of Directors individuals to be recognized for the following awards: Honors of the Association, Distinguished Service, Emerging Leader, and Young Professional.
- Select winners for professional scholarships. Applicants are given numeric values for several evaluation criteria. The highest-scoring applicant is awarded the scholarship. Notification is provided prior to opening registration for ACPA’s 79th Annual Meeting.
2021 Selection Panel Members:
- Earl J. “Gip” Seaver, PhD, Dekalb, IL (Chair)
- Manish Valiathan, MSD, DDS, Cleveland (Co-Chair)
- Ellen R. Cohn, PhD, Long Branch, NJ
- Lynn Marty Grames, MA, CCC-SLP, St. Louis, MO
- Richard A. Kapitan, DDS, MS, FACS, Charlotte, NC
- Sara Kinter, MA, CCC-SLP, Seattle, WA
- Lakshmi Kollara Sunil, PhD, Orlando, FL
- Henry A. Milczuk, MD, Portland, OR
- Joseph A. Napoli, MD, DDS, Philadelphia, PA
- Janine M. Rosenberg, PhD, Chicago, IL
- Patricia Simon, RN, Mt. Prospect, IL
- Helene M. Taylor, MA, Salt Lake City, UT
- Raj M. Vyas, MD, Yorba Linda, CA
- Krishna G. Patel, MD, PhD (Board Liaison)