ACPA is proud to present awards that recognize dedication to research, care and the community.
All awards are presented at ACPA’s Annual Meeting. For information on ACPA’s Professional Awards, click here.
The Distinguished Service Award recognizes an individual, member or non-member, who has demonstrated exceptional service to ACPA.
The Emerging Leader Award is given to an early career professional who is a member of ACPA for at least three years and not more than 15 years, who exhibits exemplary accomplishment and dedication to the issues affecting people with cleft and craniofacial conditions.
- Thomas Sitzman, MD 2018
- Solomon Obiri-Yeboah, MD, DMD 2019
- Albert Oh, MD 2020
The ACPA Family Services Leadership Award recognizes an individual or group, such as a parent, patient, advocate, or community organization, who has demonstrated exceptional service and leadership on behalf of individuals with cleft or craniofacial anomalies.
The Honors of the Association represents the highest expression of respect and gratitude ACPA bestows. It is granted to those individuals whose lifetime of research, healthcare delivery, or leadership has advanced, significantly and uniquely, the amelioration of physical, behavioral or social conditions of cleft lip and palate or other craniofacial differences.
This award is given each year to the peer reviewer recommended and selected by the Editorial Board who best exemplifies the core values and missions of The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal.
- Yusuf M. Albustanji, CCC-SLP, PhD, 2015
- Veerasathpurush Allareddy, BDS, MMSc, PhD, 2016
- Adriane L. Baylis, PhD, CCC-SLP, 2017
- David W. Low, MD and Rachel M. Roberts, PhD, 2018
- Emily Gallagher, MD, MPH, 2019
- Meredith Albert, PhD 2020
The Berkowitz Award is made annually to the primary author of the article judged to be the best long-term outcomes study published in The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. The author may be from any discipline represented in the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association, and the article may cover any cleft/craniofacial subject area.
- “The Americleft Study: An Inter‐Center Study of Treatment Outcomes for Patients With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Parts 1-5”
The Americleft Team, 2012
- “Long-Term, Longitudinal Follow-Up of Individuals With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate After the Gothenburg Primary Early Veloplasty and Delayed Hard Palate Closure Protocol: Speech Outcome”
Anette Lohmander, PhD and co-authors, 2013
- “Long-Term, Longitudinal Follow-Up of Individuals With UCLP After the Gothenburg Primary Early Veloplasty and Delayed Hard Palate Closure Protocol: Maxillofacial Growth Outcome”
Hans Friede, DDS, ODr, 2013
- “Factors Related to Quality of Life and Satisfaction with Nasal Appearance in Patients Treated for Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate”
Maria Marni, MD, PhD and co-authors, 2014
- “Speech and Phonology in Swedish-Speaking 3-Year-Olds with Unilateral Complete Cleft Lip and Palate Following Different Methods for Primary Palatal Surgery”
Kristina Klinto, MS and co-authors, 2015
- “It Doesn’t All Just Stop at 18: Psychological Adjustment and Support Needs of Adults Born With Cleft Lip and/or Palate”
Nicola Marie Stock, MSc and co-authors, 2016
- “A Multicenter Study Using the SWAG Scale to Compare Secondary Alveolar Bone Graft Outcomes for Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate”
Kathleen Russell, DDS, MSc, 2017
- “Oral Clefts and Academic Performance in Adolescence: The Impact of Anesthesia-Related Neurotoxicity, Timing of Surgery, and Type of Oral Clefts”
Nicola G. Clausen, MD and co-authors, 2018
- “Secondary Alveolar Bone Grafting in Patients Born With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: A 20-Year Follow-up”
Fatemeh Jabbari, DDS, PhD and co-authors, 2019
- Facial Growth of Patients With Complete Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Treated With Alveolar Bone Grafting at 6 Years
Jean-Charles Doucet, DMD, MD, MSc, FRCDC and co-authors, 2020
This award is given each year to a section editor of The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal in recognition of their significant and substantive contributions to the journal.
- Christos Katsaros, DDS, DMD, Odont Dr/PhD, 2016
- Christos Katsaros, DDS, DMD, Odont Dr/PhD, 2017
- Tim Bressmann, PhD, 2018
- Justine Lee, MD, PhD, FACS, 2019
- Justine C. Lee, MD, PhD, FACS 2020