During May, ACPA’s Board of Directors met to discuss current events and the status of the Association. Instead of beginning the meeting with business as usual, each board member shared an update about their experiences in the present environment. It was an eye-opening conversation and we realized that while every member of ACPA is experiencing varying circumstances, it is especially important that we continue to come together as a community and support patients, families and professionals during this time.
The Board discussed updates on development, the executive director search, consolidation of funds, and discretionary spending. Below are highlights from the meeting.
- The THRIVE campaign, originally planned for ACPA’s Annual Meeting, will now be held during Cleft and Craniofacial Awareness Month in July.
- The Board approved the following actions to consolidate funds:
- Merging the General College Scholarship Fund with the Randall/LaRossa College Scholarship Fund.
- Closing the Earl “Gip” Seaver Scholarship Award Fund in 2020 after the final three awards of $1,200 are distributed.
- Merging the General Research Fund, Paul W. Black, M.D. Grants for Emerging Researchers Fund, Subtelny Research Grant Fund and Junior Investigator Award Fund to create a single Subtelny Junior Investigator Award Fund to provide two annual monetary awards for excellent research presentations during the Junior Investigator Session.
- Closing the Karlind T. Moller Cleft/Craniofacial Scholarship for Speech Pathology/Audiology Students Fund in 2020 or 2021 once the balance is at zero.
- The Visiting Scholar Program will be deferred for an additional year due to COVID related uncertainties. Applicants from 2020 will be held for consideration the following year.
- The Board approved adopting the Statements of Purpose and Operating Guidelines for the Family Services Endowment Fund and the Randall/LaRossa College Scholarship Fund.
- The search firm has received tremendous interest in ACPA’s Executive Director job posting. The search is moving forward as scheduled.
- The 2020 Interim Board of Directors Meeting will be moved to a virtual format.
I’m so grateful to our community for continuously adapting and making efforts to support the good work of ACPA–even if it looks different than we planned. If you have any questions or are looking for ways to stay involved, please contact the National Office Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.